Sunday, October 5, 2008

Works in progess

I have about four projects I've been working on for the past two weeks, and this one is about 50% done. Just ran out of E6000 and will continue to glue my way through the rest of this project with Liquid Nails. These mini clamps that I have borrowed from the hubby are great! I also use some small plastic clamps that are just the right size to use with these small projects.
I am taking my very first assemblage class and this is the fruits of my labor. I painted the doll's legs with black spray paint used for plastics. The legs were painted a very beautiful black color and very shiny. As I was moving them around they kept getting nicked, so I just gave up on keeping them prestine looking and took sand paper to them to give them the worn look.

It also helped to have body parts from a very well made doll! I'm now at the point of trying to figure out on how to design the inside of the cigar box. What you see currently are a few torn pieces of ink covered tarlatan(stiff cheese cloth). Tarlatan is used in wipping down plates in printmaking. Some of the ink covered tarlatans have some beautiful colors on them. I guess this is my part in recycling because I think the studio discards them when the are too soiled with ink.
I like indirectly incorporating printmaking into my assemblages.

I was tagged by Robinsunne to tell 6 random things about myself and then tag others in turn.
1) I love to eat pickles and chips.
2) I have a breakfast burrito most mornings.
3) I am originally from the Land of Enchantment.
4) I am a very blessed person to have and know all the wonderful people in my life.
5) Most times I feel that I have an old soul, which is a good thing for me!
6) At another time in my life, I had served 8 years in the military.
As another friend put it so delicately in his blog regarding these tags, I too will have to be a party pooper and decline on tagging other artists friends because they just wouldn't care for this
to show up on their blogs.


Clarissa Callesen said...

Those are great clamps! I'm too impatient for clamps most of the time, but when I do need them I love those kind.. Who are you taking your assemblage class with?

cat said...

Hi Clarissa,

I depend too much on my clamps !!

The assemblage class I'm taking is with an artist name Jackie Sloan. I live in the Greater Cincinnati area and not many assemblage classes are offered, so I jumped at the chance to take it when this one was offered.

Patti said...

Hey Carla:
Thanks for visiting my blog - you're taking an assemblage class in Cincinnati?? I'm an hour south - I'll have to check it out. Your projects are really cool.

cat said...

Thanks Patti,

Do you consider yourself a Wildcat and bleed blue like the rest?
I've been living in this area for a while and still not able to get into the spirit of it.

Chaska Peacock said...

I love your assemblages! Yes, clamps are great....I also use padded bull-clips for very small things.

I have yet to find a paint which actually stays on plastic the way it's supposed to.

cat said...

Hi Chaska Peacock!
This was my first time using spray paint on a doll.
The black spray paint claimed you didn't need to prime the plastic before hand, so I had some primer and did it anyway. Maybe thats where things went wrong.
I'm fine with the way it's turning out, but would like to find out a way to keep the paint in its original state without altering it.